- 28 oz. Pkgs. Eckrich Smoked Sausage, cut on the bias into 1'-thick pieces28 oz.
- 6 Large soft pretzels (thawed if frozen)6
- 1 1/2 cup(s) Sauerkraut, drained1 1/2 cup(s)
- 12 oz. Lager beer12 oz.
- 1 Tsp. Caraway seeds1 Tsp.
- 8 Large eggs8
- 2 cup(s) Milk2 cup(s)
- 1/4 cup(s) Stone ground mustard1/4 cup(s)
- 1 Tsp. Finely chopped fresh chives, plus more for serving1 Tsp.
- 1 Tsp. Kosher salt1 Tsp.
- 1 Tsp. Freshly ground black pepper1 Tsp.
- 2 cup(s) Shredded or chopped swiss cheese2 cup(s)
PREHEAT oven to 375°F. Coat large baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Spread soft pretzel pieces onto rimmed baking sheet and place in the oven while it preheats. Continue toasting pretzels in oven until slightly crisp, about 5 more minutes. Remove baking sheet from oven and allow bread to cool slightly. Transfer pretzels to a large mixing bowl.
COMBINE sausage, sauerkraut, beer and caraway seeds in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Bring beer to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer contents of skillet to bowl with pretzels, tossing to combine.
WHISK together eggs, milk, mustard, thyme, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Pour egg mixture over sausage pretzel mixture and stir to combine. Add Swiss cheese and stir to combine. Transfer mixture to the prepared baking dish and cover tightly with aluminum foil. Do ahead: Prepare casserole through step 3 up to 24 hours ahead of baking, store covered in refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before baking.
BAKE casserole for 60 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 45 minutes, until top is golden-brown and the center of the casserole is set. Garnish with fresh chives and serve warm.